tirsdag 1. februar 2011

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to my blog. I, Vavva, made this blog because I like history a lot and I'm tired of generally  poor historic knowledge amongst normal people.

My favourite lapse of time through history is 1750-Napoleonic era. At this time in history, conquests and losses may actually be relevant today as many of these states still exist, as it was later too. What separates the time I like, is that war and battles are still somewhat glorious and not just tragic; of course, war and history is tragic, but 1750-NE is so... unsure. For instance, from WW2 we have countless reports of horror and suffering. These werent existing in 1750-NE. There, it was primarily glory and honour. This makes, in addition to the earlier mentioned fact, 1750-NE to the historic era I like the most.



 As I see it, there are two problems with modern history writing:
1: It's for interested people only.
2: It's primarily written by Americans.


The first point could be something to work with, as good historians (though I'd probably classify as one today) may accomplish books and other medies that appeal to normal people.

The second "problem" may be harder to do something about. As you may notice by the setting, I'm not American (I'm Norwegian, so my English may not be perfect) , and I'm fed up at American history. 220 years, constantly repeated to the entire world, even though it may not be interested at all. American revolutionary wars, described as if it was an enormous loss in British eyes, Lousiana purchase, of course even more important (or as important as) the Napoleonic wars, war of 1812, the same, American Civil War, quite important, but not an "event of the milennium", 1st and 2nd World War, where the American effort is grossly overestimated. An extra push in WW1, true, and a Japanese frontier in WW2, true, but the European "campaign" USA launched was quite overestimated. As I saw in an American history film, the narrator went over the other nations' efforts at the D-day in one sentence, and then, the American forces met EXTREME resistance and HUGE armies, like the Germans saved everything for the Americans.

In later times, after WW2, USA have done a lot, and I of course appreciate USA, primarily political, but regarding history, I'm tired of the mentioned topic.


Welcome to this blog and my first post here.

Vavva

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar